The Banna Christians in Alduba are holding special meetings this weekend. One of the Banna church leaders who has a vision for Banna literacy will be sharing that vision with those who are gathered. Please pray that the Holy Spirit will speak through him, moving those who have received tutor training to truly want to teach others to read.
We missionaries realize that God has to put the desire and the burden in their hearts. IF the church as a whole is willing to choose and hire a literacy coordinator, Gideon, the Kenyan believer who has helped us with the tutor trainings, is willing to come and work with that person to get a Banna literacy program going. Since money is always an issue, we will help with the salary of the coordinator at least for the first year - and also provide what is needed for Gideon to come and work with him.
1. That the reviewers (chosen and trained to read our Banna Scripture translation and offer suggestions for improvement) will actually have read the whole of Matthew's Gospel in Banna in time for these meetings;
2. That the reviewers will make good, clear suggestions for improvement of the translation;
3. That God will direct the church leaders in choosing the right person to be Banna literacy coordinator;
4. That the discussions about literacy at the meetings will make a difference and result in cooperation by those who have received tutor training;
5. That the timing and logistics for Gideon's coming will be worked out, and his family's needs will be met while he is away from them;
6. That any problems with the primers will become evident and be worked out so that the tools for teaching literacy are adequate.
1. That there is still hope for Banna literacy, and that the team has not given up;
2. That Gideon is willing to come and stay for several months to help us get a literacy program going;
3. That some of the church leaders have a vision for Banna literacy;
4. That God is bigger than the obstacles;
5. That God has provided gel boards for the people to use in learning to read and write - and for the young people in Peoples Church of Fresno who raised the funds for them, and the people who gave;
6. That I am working on the CARLA draft of Revelation, the last book I need to do for the Banna New Testament. (But please remember that this is only a very rough draft. We still have several years of editing and revising to do before the New Testament can be published.)
I was feeling sad that I had forgotten to take my camera on my last trip to Ethiopia, but a friend directed me to a website that has much better pictures of the people groups I work among than I could take. There are some good photos of wild animals, too. Check it out at http://www.gabrielopenshaw.com/EthiopiaMain.html